According to the Associated Press, NASCAR driver Kyle Busch was testing in a racing simulator on Wednesday when he became unresponsive.
WASHINGTON D.C., DC — Legendary NASCAR driver Kyle Busch died Thursday at 41, just three days before he was set to run the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
As Busch’s friends, family and fans mourn his death and pay tribute to his legacy, details remain limited on exactly what happened.
On Wednesday, NASCAR driver Kyle Busch was found unresponsive in a driving simulator in Concord, according to new reporting by the Associated Press. He was transported from there to a hospital in Charlotte, several people familiar with the situation told The Associated Press, giving new insight into the hours before the racing star’s unexpected death.
The sources spoke anonymously because details have not been disclosed by Busch’s team or family.
Earlier in the day on Thursday, his family posted that Busch was hospitalized undergoing treatment for a “severe illness.”
Just hours later, Busch’s family and NASCAR released a joint statement confirming the 41-year-old had died.
“Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch. A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation,” the Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR said in a joint statement. “He was fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely skilled and he cared deeply about the sport and fans.”
What was Kyle Busch’s cause of death?
As of Friday morning, an official cause of death hasn’t been released for Kyle Busch, whose death has shocked the professional racing world.
His death comes 11 days after Busch radioed into his crew near the end of a Cup Series race at Watkins Glen asking a doctor to give him a “shot” when he finished the race.
According to the TV broadcast, Busch had been struggling with a sinus cold exacerbated by the intense G-forces and elevation changes at the New York road course.
A few days later on May 15, Busch won the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race in Dover. Comments from his post-race interview resurfaced as news of his death spread.
“You take whatever you can get, man,” Busch said. “You never know when the last one is going to be, so cherish them all — trust me.”
Fans, rivals mourn Busch’s death
In the short time since Busch’s death was confirmed, an outpouring of support has welled up for his loved ones from fans who enjoyed watching him race and competitors who met him on the track.
NASCAR legend Jimmie Johnson was one of the first to share his condolences with a post on X.
“Kyle Busch wasn’t just one of the fiercest competitors our sport has ever seen, he was one of the most talented race car drivers I’ve ever shared a track with. We spent years as teammates at Hendrick Motorsports, and even as competitors, there was always a deep respect for what he could do behind the wheel,” Johnson wrote. “Kyle pushed all of us to be better. His passion, intensity, and love for racing were unmatched, and his impact on this sport will be felt forever.”
NASCAR driver Denny Hamlin said, “Absolutely cannot comprehend this news. We just need to think of his family during this time. We love you KB.”
Fans also paid tribute to Busch with charitable donations, offering symbolic gestures to a charity he started.
By Thursday evening, the Samantha and Kyle Busch Bundle of Joy Fund — the charity Busch and his wife founded to help couples afford fertility treatments — had received hundreds of new donations.
Donations on the charity’s page bore messages like “In Memory of Kyle Busch,” “In Honor of Kyle Busch” and “In Memory of Rowdy,” submitted by fans from across the country. Many gave exactly $18.08, a nod to the two car numbers Busch carried across his storied career. Busch drove the No. 18 during his championship years at Joe Gibbs Racing and wore the No. 8 for Richard Childress Racing in his final seasons.
