Fort Worth police release video in 2 deadly officer-involved shootings to counter public perception; attorneys question actions

Fort Worth Police Chief Eddie Garcia said there have been false narratives regarding the officer-involved shootings.

FORT WORTH, Texas — Fort Worth police released edited body camera video Thursday from two separate deadly officer-involved shootings that happened within minutes of each other on May 16.

Fort Worth Police Chief Eddie Garcia said he was “extending compassion for the families in both incidents,” during a news conference on May 22.

The first shooting happened on Wiman Drive after officers responded to multiple 911 calls. Edited video released by police appears to show 25-year-old Emmitt Mayo holding what investigators say was a gun as officers repeatedly ordered him to drop the weapon.

“Drop your weapon!” officers shouted in the video.

“There’s been quite a bit of false narrative that has been output since the shooting,” Garcia said. “Our officers had to make split second decisions to not only protect themselves, but also the residents that live in that neighborhood.”

Garcia explained that the handgun they believed Mayo carried had been modified to operate like a machine gun using what is commonly referred to as a switch. Modifying handguns is against the law and a federal crime, officials said. The chief elaborated, clarifying his officers didn’t know exactly what type of gun Mayo used to point at them.

Shortly after the Mayo shooting, police said officers attempted to stop 29-year-old Jorge Contreras for speeding. Garcia said investigators determined Contreras tried to hit officers with his vehicle before stop sticks were deployed to end the pursuit, which lasted about 15 minutes. Police said Contreras then ignored officers’ commands during the confrontation that followed.

“And then, grabbed at the officer’s handgun. At that point, officers fired their guns and struck the suspect,” Garcia said.

A Fort Worth police sergeant injured in the second shooting is now home recovering.

“It appears that shrapnel fragments from the shooting caused injuries,” Garcia said. “The sergeant is in good condition and has been released from the hospital.”

The police chief shared they are still investigating if the two different men shot and killed by officers are connected to each other.

Attorneys representing Mayo’s family criticized the officers’ actions shown in the video.

“It’s heartbreaking to see a young man’s life being taken,” defense attorney Valerie Baston said.

Baston and law partner Torrence “T-Riff” Burnett said they also represented Mayo’s music career.

“We were supposed to be in Atlanta this week, signing a big deal for him. And to see his life gone for nothing, for me, it’s infuriating,” Burnett said. “So, Black man, to see how we’re being treated still in this day, is ridiculous. Having a gun in and of itself is not a crime. And let’s just say you shouldn’t have a gun, and the gun is illegal. It’s not a crime that’s death penalty worthy.”

Baston said it seemed like Mayo wasn’t given time to drop his weapon.

“It appears that he was just open fire upon,” Baston said. “This young man was respectful. When I tell you every conversation, every interaction I had with him, he was like any other young man. Even if he disagreed with whatever we were talking about, he was never belligerent or violent, no threats, none of the things that the police department will try to characterize him into being. He was a good kid.”

Torrence “T-Riff” Burnett said he’s been in touch with Mayo’s father. 

“It’s heartbreaking to hear a 50-something-year-old man talking about the loss of his child, his adult child,” Burnett said. “I mean, literally sobbing and looking for answers that no one’s really going to be able to give it. So, I think they’re going to need some time to try to navigate this while we, as representatives, go out and start to get some answers on the board for them from the legal side.”

As the attorneys prepare possible legal action in Mayo’s death, Garcia said investigators are still working to answer questions surrounding both shootings.

During the news conference, WFAA asked Garcia whether investigators had uncovered any evidence linking either suspect to gang activity.

“Yes, Mr. Mayo is a validated gang member,” Garcia said.

Police said all officers involved in both shootings remain on critical incident leave while the investigations continue.

Source link