Breaking Houston news: | wfaa.com

Emergency personnel asked the public to avoid the area while crews worked to stabilize patients.

SABINE PASS, Texas — Four people died Monday afternoon after a Chevrolet Express van crossed into oncoming traffic and struck a Prevost passenger bus on Highway 87 in Sabine Pass, the Texas Department of Public Safety said.

The crash happened at approximately 3:50 p.m. on Monday. According to a preliminary DPS investigation, the van was traveling northwest when it veered into the oncoming lane and collided with the southeast-bound bus. After impact, the van went into a ditch. A third vehicle, an Audi passenger car that had been following the bus, then struck the rear of the bus.

The driver of the van, identified as a 28-year-old man from Baytown, and three of his occupants were pronounced dead at the scene by a Justice of the Peace. Five other people were taken to various hospitals with life-threatening injuries. Their identities were not immediately available.

The bus driver, who was the sole occupant of the bus, was transported to a nearby hospital with injuries not considered life-threatening. The driver of the Audi, also alone in the vehicle, was likewise taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The bus was operated by Hotard.

DPS said the investigation is active and ongoing and that no further information is available at this time.

Hotard issued a statement Monday night that read:

“On Monday, May 18, a van crossed the center line into oncoming traffic and collided with a Hotard Coaches bus on Highway 87 in Port Arthur, TX.

“Our immediate focus continues to be on the wellbeing of those involved. Hotard deployed its response team to provide support to the individuals involved. Our thoughts are with all those affected by this heartbreaking event.

“The safety of our passengers, employees, and the public is our highest priority. We are fully cooperating with local authorities as they investigate this matter. Our driver was not cited for the incident. Hotard is committed to taking any necessary actions to prevent similar incidents in the future.

“We are aware of media reports indicating that two buses were involved in this incident. That is incorrect. Only one bus was involved, and it was operated by Hotard Coaches.”

Got a news tip or story idea? Email us at newstips@khou.com and include the best way to reach you.

Source link