NASCAR champion Kyle Busch dies after hospitalization for ‘severe illness’

The 41-year-old NASCAR driver and Las Vegas native won championships in 2015 and 2019.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion Kyle Busch has died at the age of 41.

News of his death comes just hours after Busch’s family released a statement on Thursday saying he had been hospitalized with a severe illness and wouldn’t compete at Charlotte Motor Speedway this weekend.

The official NASCAR account later confirmed his death. 

“We are saddened and heartbroken to share the news of the passing of Kyle Busch, a two-time Cup champion and one of our sport’s greatest and fiercest drivers,” they wrote. “We extend our deepest condolences to the Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and the entire motorsports community.”

“Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch. A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation,” the Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR said in a joint statement. “He was fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely skilled and he cared deeply about the sport and fans.”

His sharp wit and competitive spirit sparked a deep emotional connection with race fans of every age, creating the proud and loyal ‘Rowdy Nation,'” the statement continued. “NASCAR lost a giant of the sport today, far too soon.”

A cause of death has yet to be released.

His family posted earlier on Thursday that Busch was currently undergoing treatment for a “severe illness.”

“Kyle has experienced a severe illness resulting in hospitalization. He is currently undergoing treatment and will not compete in any of his scheduled activities this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. We ask for understanding and privacy as our family navigates this situation,” the statement, released prior to his death, read.

RCR Racing said Austin Hill would be filling in for him in the No. 8 Chevrolet. RCR asked fans to keep Busch and his family in their prayers and to respect their privacy during this time.

During a Cup Series race on May 10 at Watkins Glen, Busch radioed in to his crew requesting medical aid from Dr. Bill Heisel and a “shot” after the race. According to the TV broadcast, Busch had been struggling with a sinus cold that was exacerbated by the intense G-forces and elevation changes at the Upstate New York road course.

Busch continued to race and finished eighth.

The 41-year-old driver and Las Vegas native won championships in 2015 and 2019. Busch was in his fourth season at Richard Childress Racing after winning titles with Joe Gibbs Racing.

His last win came in 2023, his first with RCR.

The Associated Press and WCNC contributed to this report. 



Source link